Linux-Hardware Digest #762, Volume #14           Sat, 12 May 01 15:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: serious bug in raidtoos ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Recommend sound card for Linux? (Steve Snyder)
  Re: Recommend sound card for Linux? ("Peter")
  Re: zoran tv cap-card in mdk8 (kernel 2.4.3) ("Adam")
  For Sale:  Shuttle AV61 Motherboard  ("justron")
  Re: Logitech MouseMan+ through a switch box ("B.Y.")
  Scanner Genius Colorpage Vivid III V2 (Santiago Capel)
  Re: is amd's trilevel cache supported in linux? (Dances With Crows)
  serial ports not working (Tim Grant)
  Re: Logitech MouseMan+ through a switch box (Tim Laursen)
  Re: PPP Newbie Question ("Alexander G. Haley")
  Re: serial ports not working ("Bob Parnass, AJ9S")
  Re: Creative Vibra 128 PCI (cash)
  Re: PPP Newbie Question ("Alexander G. Haley")
  Re: serious bug in raidtoos (Armin Ollig)
  Is this mailing list archived? (Santiago Capel)
  Soundblaster Live vs. XFree86 v4.0.3 - an irq conflict? (HELP!!!) (Karl-Heinz
Pennemann)
  ATX 12V Power Supply (Dr A.J. Marquis)
  Blank Screen (Rage 128 Pro) ("Allen")
  Re: SCSI Confusion:  Help! ("Matthew Goheen")

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: serious bug in raidtoos
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 15:00:59 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc Armin Ollig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> we experienced data corruption while testing the raid tools.

As if that was unexpected. The raid tools (which ones?  0.4.1? 0.42? 0.91?)
tell you taht intreresting things can happen. Be careful.

> 1. create simple raid1 md device like this:

>  raiddev /dev/md0
>         chunk-size      256k
>         raid-level      1
>         nr-raid-disks   2
>         nr-spare-disks  0
>         persistent-superblock 1
>         device          /dev/hdg1
>         raid-disk       0
>         device          /dev/hdo1
>         raid-disk       1

That's fairly fine, but not very interesting, except for the device
letters. What are your ide controllers and how many do you have?

> 2. Mount the device, then write to a file very fast like this
>    dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=1024k count=800
>    repeat this several times. Make a backup copy of "file" to another
> drive.

> 3. Unmount the md device and run fsck -f on it:

> luna:/ # fsck   -f /dev/md5
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.19a (13-Jul-2000)
> e2fsck 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Inode 13, i_size is 86310912, should be 86312960.  Fix<y>?

> If fsck is done, the files you just created are corrupted (run diff
> against the backup copy on the other drive).

Well, that's obviously nothing to do with the raid tools!  You didn't
even use them! Complain to the author of the kernel driver, or the ide
controller driver. Which kernel are you using? I have been using raid
since 2.0.0 days (and now on 2.4.4) and never have had any problems.

> The bug does not seem to occur with -o sync mounts, but sync is almost
> useless (slow). No messages about hardware problems. All IDE disks are

Sync should be fine, and is the mandatory way to use a mirrored system!
Are you crazy? This is like saying "I keep my money in a safe, but I
leave the door open so it's quicker to get at".

> connected to 3 Promise IDE ATA100 controller. No data corruption when
> writing to single disks. Only occurs with software raid md.

Looks like you've discovered a bug in the hardware IDE controller. Via
mobo? The one with the hardware bug in the south bridge that hits when
you write from one ide channel to another?

> Now what ?!

Put both disks on the same controller and repeat.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Steve Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recommend sound card for Linux?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 07:03:25 -0700

Hello.

Can someone recommend a sound card for my Linux (v2.4, SMP Pentium3)
system?

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend sound card for Linux?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:20:41 GMT

I artikeln <OobL6.1829$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev "Steve Snyder"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello.
>
> Can someone recommend a sound card for my Linux (v2.4, SMP Pentium3)
> system?
>
> Thank you.

I'd recommend one of the SB Live! cards. I've got the 1024 version, can
be had cheap and is well supported.

/Peter

------------------------------

From: "Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: zoran tv cap-card in mdk8 (kernel 2.4.3)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:28:28 GMT

Thanks for the reply, I tried adding tuner but no difference (I think tuner
is for the sound off the tv-card).  Unfortunately I think that the Zoran
driver doesn't work with 2.4.x kernels using my tv card.

Thanks anyway!

cheers,

Adam

"jeanseb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I think a 'modprobe tuner' may help u !
> It seems that there is no tuner loaded as it says 'invalid vaue for
> INPUT'
>

> Adam wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've been trying desperately to get my AiTech WaveWatcher TV-PCI (Zoran
> > ZR36120 chipset) working in Mandrake 8.  I've recompiled the kernel with
> > bigphysarea patch and allocated a chunk of memory.  I then install the
> > needed modules as follows -
> >
> > #modprobe i2c-old
> > #modprobe videodev
> > #modprobe saa7110
> > #modprobe zoran cardtype=1
> >
> > All goes well and my logs shows the card installed correctly (cardtype=1
is
> > for the AiTech WaveWatcher).  I then run "v4lctl" to test (as xawtv
exits)
> > and get the following output -
> >
> > #v4lctl setinput Television
> > ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,,flags=0x2,type=0,norm=0): Invalid argument
> > ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,,flags=0x2,type=0,norm=1): Invalid argument
> > ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,,flags=0x2,type=0,norm=2): Invalid argument
> > ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,,flags=0x2,type=0,norm=3): Invalid argument
> > ioctl: VIDIOCGCHAN(0,,flags=0x0,type=0,norm=0): Invalid argument
> > invalid value for input: Television
> > valid choices for "input":
> >
> > No matter what conditions I specify in v4lctl it says it is not a valid
> > choice and displays VIDIOCSCHAN invalid argument message.
> >
> > I gather this is an incompatibility between the current zoran driver and
V4L

------------------------------

From: "justron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: For Sale:  Shuttle AV61 Motherboard
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:46:59 GMT

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1237251411

------------------------------

From: "B.Y." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logitech MouseMan+ through a switch box
Date: 12 May 2001 14:52:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Tim Laursen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Greetings wise ones

: The scroll wheel on my good old MouseMan+ has been working nicely under
: Linux for years. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new PC, so that now I
: have two machines - one running Linux and one running Windows 2000 (only
: for games of course). Because I don't want two monitors, two keyboards
: and two mice on my desk (not to mention paying for it), I also bought a
: switch box (Master view CS-114).

You should watch out for those, it is possible to damage your computer
when you switch on and off, unless you have an "intelligent" switchbox.

------------------------------

From: Santiago Capel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner Genius Colorpage Vivid III V2
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 15:05:55 GMT

I have this scanner I can't make it work with sane since there are no
drivers for it.

I neither know which options in the kernel must be enabled in order to
support an Paralell Printer Port Scanner.

Could anybody please help me?

Thanks,
        Santi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: is amd's trilevel cache supported in linux?
Date: 12 May 2001 15:05:42 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 21:01:19 -0400, Gregory Davis staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Sorry about the extra long subject-line, but thats it.  Is AMD's
>trilevel cache supported; in other words, can linux recognize the 2 on
>die caches on a K6-3 and also the motherboard cache?  I looked at
>/proc/cpuinfo and that file only makes reference to one of the caches.

The L0, L1, and L2 caches present on the K6-3 should be transparent to
the OS, provided the L2 cache is turned on in the motherboard BIOS.
FWIW, I've heard no complaints about K6-3 performance under Linux, and
T-Birds under Linux rock.  Also FWIW, my T-Bird is recognized as having
"64K L1 I Cache 64K  L1 D Cache 64K" as well as "L2 Cache 256K" at boot,
but only the 256K L2 shows up in /proc/cpuinfo.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Tim Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.comm
Subject: serial ports not working
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 01:17:53 +1000

Hi,

I just got an old EliteGroup p5vx-be board to use as a linux router but
can't get the serial ports to work.  The irq settings are fine (com1 = 4
, com2 = 3).  They are being recognised by the kernel with the correct
settings however neither my modem nor my mouse will work.  When using
wvdialconf to find a modem the TR light flashes however no modem can be
found.  I have tried using minicom however it does not respond.
setserial -g ttyS0 shows that the ports are correctly set  to the same
as the kernel.  Kernel boot up message is as follows:

kernel: ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
kernel: ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

This is driving me nuts!!!!!  If anyone might have any suggestions could
you pleeease let me know.  Thanks,

Tim Grant

------------------------------

From: Tim Laursen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 17:33:10 +0200

B.Y. wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.hardware Tim Laursen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Greetings wise ones
>
> : The scroll wheel on my good old MouseMan+ has been working nicely under
> : Linux for years. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new PC, so that now
> : I have two machines - one running Linux and one running Windows 2000
> : (only for games of course). Because I don't want two monitors, two
> : keyboards and two mice on my desk (not to mention paying for it), I also
> : bought a switch box (Master view CS-114).
>
> You should watch out for those, it is possible to damage your computer
> when you switch on and off, unless you have an "intelligent" switchbox.

I don't know what you mean by an "intelligent" switch box. This is a four
port digital switch, and I have never had any problems with this model at
work (I've set up quite a few for different people). Anyway, damaged
hardware is not the problem. That much I am sure of.

Anyone out there who knows of a SOLUTION for the scroll wheel problem?

- Tim -

------------------------------

From: "Alexander G. Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP Newbie Question
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:29:48 -0400

> did u upgrade from a 2.2.x-kernel? then u need to get the latest pppd. i

How do I go about this. I'm using debian, using the CD Images for my
apt-source. Isn't that the latest?

--alex

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:11:32 -0500
From: "Bob Parnass, AJ9S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.comm
Subject: Re: serial ports not working

Hi Tim,

Are the permissions set as r/w on the ports for the
users who will access them? (i.e., use chmod)

Bob Parnass, AJ9S                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Registered Linux User #209820 (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

------------------------------

From: cash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: Creative Vibra 128 PCI
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 09:40:56 -0700

I use SUSE 7.0. I have a Creative Vibra16x (ISA) card that works using oss
version 3.8.1z (which only comes with the SUSE 7.0 distro.). I've tried
SUSE 7.1 with alsa, and that works too. But I haven't been able to get my
soundcard working with alsa on the 2.4 kernel that comes with SUSE 7.1. I'm
also trying to get my HP Scanjet 3400C to work. If you find anything out,
let me know. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Alexander G. Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 13:05:26 -0400

Never mind. I installed ppd 2.4.0 and it worked fine.

=--alex

------------------------------

From: Armin Ollig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 19:36:36 +0200

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply. Here comes the info...

> That's fairly fine, but not very interesting, except for the device
> letters. What are your ide controllers and how many do you have?

Raidtools Version 0.90
Kernel 2.4.2 (#5)
3x PDC20267 IDE ata 100 controllers (compiled the udma feature in the k)

> Well, that's obviously nothing to do with the raid tools!  You didn't
> even use them! Complain to the author of the kernel driver, or the ide
> controller driver. Which kernel are you using? I have been using raid
> since 2.0.0 days (and now on 2.4.4) and never have had any problems.

> Sync should be fine, and is the mandatory way to use a mirrored system!
> Are you crazy? This is like saying "I keep my money in a safe, but I
> leave the door open so it's quicker to get at".

I know what sync and async is. And i want it that way.
Your point is true though, especially for linux and ext2fs where
metadata is cached too.....but thats another storry.

> Looks like you've discovered a bug in the hardware IDE controller. Via
> mobo?
No, the mobo is a tyan with a server works chipset and ecc. I dont think
the mobo is bad. We dont use the mobo on board IDE controller.

> The one with the hardware bug in the south bridge that hits when
> you write from one ide channel to another?
>
> Put both disks on the same controller and repeat.

Both disks on the same or different channel on _one_ controller.
Problem still exists.
Have tried this with 2 controllers.

Now i write the same file with the same dd command not  to the mirror,
but to both devices that are mounted. I write *concurently* several
times. **No** problem. But if i build a mirror over this devices it
blows the fs.

Any suggestions ?

--Armin

------------------------------

From: Santiago Capel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 18:16:22 GMT

I have been looking for the archive of comp.os.linux.hardware, but I
can't find it.

Any help would be apreciated!

Thanks,
                        Santi.

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Pennemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Soundblaster Live vs. XFree86 v4.0.3 - an irq conflict? (HELP!!!)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:33:14 +0200

Hello!

I've got a strange problem with my (new) Soundblaster Live card. The following
command

# cat endoftheworld > /dev/dsp

works well at the console and the test-sound is played. But under X (in an
xterm as root) I get the following error message

# cat: write error: Input/output error

and no sound. I thought this could only be an irq problem... but after investigating
/proc/pci (see below), I became unsure... (SBLive:= irq 5,
NvidiaTNT:= irq 10).

I've tried a lots of things (played with bios, recompiled kernels & drivers, read
mbytes of docs & howtos) and now, I have no idea, what goes wrong here. Any help
anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance,

Zed

PS: the error also occurs w/o the two network-adapter and the scsi card. For testing
purposes I've installed an old Mozart isa-card. The problem did _not_ occur...)

Software:
Kernel v2.4.4 (tried also 2.4.4.5)
XFree86 v4.0.3 with nvidia (tried also nv), windowmanager=twm
alsa-driver-v0.5.10b (tried emu10k1 (kernel-version) and latest driver for
Soundblaster Live from CreativeLabs)

Hardware:
DFI K6Xv3+ (Apollo MVP3)
AMD K6-2 350 MHz
Soundblaster Live (Value)
bash-2.04# more /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3] (rev 4).
      Master Capable.  Latency=16.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe3ffffff].
  Bus  0, device   1, function  0:
    PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP] (rev 0).
      Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=12.
  Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
    ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-ISA [Apollo VP] (rev 71).
  Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
    IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 6).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd00f].
  Bus  0, device   7, function  3:
    Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B ACPI (rev 16).
  Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
    VGA compatible unclassified device: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000 (rev 8).
      IRQ 5.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=20.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd81f].
  Bus  0, device  18, function  1:
    Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! (rev 8).
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc07].
  Bus  0, device  19, function  0:
    SCSI storage controller: Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c810 (rev 18).
      IRQ 4.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe0ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8001000 [0xe80010ff].
  Bus  0, device  20, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139 (rev 16).
      IRQ 3.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0xe400 [0xe4ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8000000 [0xe80000ff].
  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Riva TnT 128 [NV04] (rev 4).
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4ffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6000000 [0xe6ffffff].
bash-2.04# more /proc/iomem
00000000-0009efff : System RAM
000a0000-000bffff : Video RAM area
000c0000-000c7fff : Video ROM
000c8000-000cbfff : Extension ROM
000f0000-000fffff : System ROM
00100000-03ffffff : System RAM
  00100000-002467e5 : Kernel code
  002467e6-002a1a6b : Kernel data
e0000000-e3ffffff : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3]
e4000000-e5ffffff : PCI Bus #01
  e4000000-e4ffffff : nVidia Corporation Riva TnT 128 [NV04]
e6000000-e6ffffff : PCI Bus #01
  e6000000-e6ffffff : nVidia Corporation Riva TnT 128 [NV04]
e8000000-e80000ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
  e8000000-e80000ff : 8139too
e8001000-e80010ff : Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c810
bash-2.04# more /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0340-035f : eth1
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
4000-40ff : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586B ACPI
c000-cfff : PCI Bus #01
d000-d00f : VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE
  d000-d007 : ide0
  d008-d00f : ide1
d800-d81f : Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000
  d800-d81f : EMU10K1
dc00-dc07 : Creative Labs SB Live!
e000-e0ff : Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c810
  e000-e07f : ncr53c7,8xx
e400-e4ff : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139
  e400-e4ff : 8139too
(example: loaded alsa-drivers with OSS emulation)
bash-2.04# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ne                      6176   1  (autoclean)
8390                    5920   0  (autoclean) [ne]
8139too                10560   1  (autoclean)
snd-card-emu10k1        2160   0
snd-emu10k1            20592   0  [snd-card-emu10k1]
snd-emux-mem            1568   0  [snd-emu10k1]
snd-rawmidi            10048   0  [snd-emu10k1]
snd-ac97-codec         24192   0  [snd-emu10k1]
snd-seq-device          3936   0  [snd-card-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]
snd-pcm-oss            17968   0
snd-pcm-plugin         14192   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-pcm                30208   0  [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin]
snd-timer               8400   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-mixer-oss           4896   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-mixer              23808   0  [snd-emu10k1 snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer-oss]
snd                    33712   1  [snd-card-emu10k1 snd-emu10k1 snd-emux-mem
snd-rawmidi snd-ac97-codec snd-seq-device snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-mixer-oss snd-mixer]
soundcore               3568   5  [snd]
# non-alsa driver
#alias char-major-14 sound
#alias sound emu10k1
##########
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-emu10k1
#alias snd-card-0 snd-card-mozart
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
bash-2.04# more /proc/dma
 4: cascade

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr A.J. Marquis)
Subject: ATX 12V Power Supply
Date: 12 May 2001 18:29:08 GMT

Hi,

  I just bought and Aopen Full Tower case, which I think is very well
made. The case came with an ATX 12V power supply which I understand
is designed for P4 and Athalon M/Bs. I have an Abit Vp6 with dual
PIII-866 processors. I connected everything up OK pressed the power
button and nothing happened. I connected up the old psu and everything
is fine. I would suspect that the new psu is faulty by the 5V standby
seems to be OK, i.e. it gives 5V OK.

Is there any reason why an ATX 12V supply wont work with my M/B and
processors ?

Thnaks in advance for any comments.

------------------------------

From: "Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Blank Screen (Rage 128 Pro)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 18:20:58 GMT

I have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro (Rage 128 Pro) and Linux-Mandrake 8.0
box and when I boot into X my monitor gives me an out of range error.
Realizing that it must be the refresh rates, I opened up XF86Config, set
them to my monitor's specs, and tried again... no luck. Any ideas?

 _______________________________
( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
( remove HAIRPIECE to reply  _______)

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Goheen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Confusion:  Help!
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 19:07:48 GMT

> Avoid hard disks with
> the 68-pin SCA adapter on them though, as you wont (easily) find a lead
that
> attaches to them, although you can get hold of a little converter board to
make
> them into Wide-SCSI-2 or standard scsi.  These are usually referred to as
'hot
> plugguble drives', and are generally more expensive too.

You mean avoid 80-pin SCA.  All wide-SCSI cabling is 68-pin, so that is what
you really
want these days.

Well, there's also differential SCSI (is that 68-pin?)....

I've had about 80% success with SCA converter cards.  The cheap ones are
suspect,
and prone to termination issues (some are really only 50-pin converters, but
provide
the 68-pin connector, and thus things can get messed up).  I got some
SCA-LVD
converters that were low profile and very nice (even with documentation --
gasp!).

    - Matt Goheen