  Re: What to install for a laptop? (George Shapovalov)

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Fast NICs
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:24:07 +0200

Chema wrote:

> Hi everybody:
>
> I am looking for fast and reliable 10/100Mbs NICs for a new cluster. I
> can not find pure speed benchmarks published or press reviews about it.
> The NICs should be well supported under GNU/Linux and I do not mind the
> price, the matter is top speed and a good manufacturer support.
> Please give me your opinions or point me to an adequate URL.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Chema Box
> System Administrator
> ETSI Navales UPM
> Madrid Spain.

Hello,

there was a similar question some month ago, and Donald Becker (author
of
most Linux NIC driver) gave the hint that 3com 905B/C cards would be
the fastest:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=53ac7c73e3315704,20&seekm=95l9t3%24d02%241%40disci.greennet#p

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Harald van Pee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.1 and SMC 1211 network card on ix86 PC
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:28:52 +0200

if
ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/net/rtl8139.o
will find the driver,
then you can try to modify your file
/etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 off  -> alias eth0 rtl8139

then use the commands
depmod -a
modprobe rtl8139

for me this works with SuSE Linux

Regards
Harald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (uzon)
Subject: pcmcia network card
Date: 15 Jun 2001 11:29:53 -0700

hi,
my pcmcia NICs (both a 3com and an ibm) give me the following infamous
error on bootup: "delaying eth0 initilization"
i am running RH7.0 on a (POS) toshiba laptop 320CDS.
the only way if it will work is if i take out the card and put it back
in after i login.
i tried using "cardctl eject 0" and then cardctl insert 0" (it's in
socket 0) and that works also. BUT, it only works if i type it in
myself at the prompt. when i put it in rc.local it will execute but
the network will not be configged.
 can someone give me a rundown of the files which have something to do
with pcmcia and network initilization and what i should look for in
them?
i also read that there is a problem some toshibas think on bootup that
the 3coms are memory cards. i did see memory_cs loaded (lsmod) after
bootup. and when i reinsert the nic it is gone (and then the network
works).
also, i read there is an IRQ 9 issue with some 3com cards. but i dont
know linux enough to find out.
as i said, two different NICs didn't init. properly (3com and ibm) so
might this be an issue with the laptop or the installation???
help would be greatly appreciated.
 i gotta config this in time for DEFCON ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Kraft)
Subject: Re: How Change serial device name: ttyS4 -> ttyS2
Date: 15 Jun 2001 12:09:58 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> If you want to pretend that /dev/ttyS4 is /dev/ttyS2 , then just "rm
> /dev/ttyS2 ; mv /dev/ttyS4 /dev/ttyS2".  It's inelegant, but it'll work.
>
> The fact that it's showing up as ttyS4 instead of ttyS2 is probably
> because COM1..4 were standardized back in the early days of PC
> architecture, and the board is being careful not to step on any of the
> I/O ports or IRQs that those serial ports were defined to use.  Are
> there jumpers on the board or some DOS program you can use to change the
> COM port number that the board reports?  Did you check in the BIOS and
> see if there's anything in there to disable COM{3,4}?

Thanks for these suggestions.  The first option doesn't really work for me.
I checked the BIOS, and unfortunately there is no provision for disabling COM 3
or 4.  For some reason, when we were using a 2.4.0 kernel, the
ttyS0-ttyS2 were assigned just fine, and the change showed up when we went to
a 2.4.4 kernel (other factors may also have been at work).

So, we decided to just go ahead and accept this assignment of ttyS0, ttyS1, and
ttyS4 and make code changes to accommodate this.

Thanks again.

        -Ray Kraft

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Denis Leroy)
Subject: Re: SCSI emulation
Date: 15 Jun 2001 12:34:49 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs) wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Ian Briggs wrote:
> :I'm a bit clueless here as I've always been content with the default
> :RedHat kernel modules.  Does this mean I edit a line in /etc/lilo.conf to:
> :     image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20 hdd=ide-scsi
> :(and then run /sbin/lilo), and this will load the necessary modules on
> :bootup -- or have I totally misunderstood?
>
> Having looked back through a few days' postings on similar topics, I think
> the change to /etc/lilo.conf should be something like:
>       image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
>       append="hdd=ide-scsi"
>       {other stuff}
> Yes?
>
> And does this then load whatever is necessary to run "taper -T scsi" and
> access the tape drive via /dev/st0?
>
> Ian

Another way is to add some lines in the modules.conf (following was suggested
by Paul Johnson) :

alias ide-tape off
below st ide-scsi

Then just accessing /dev/st0 will autoload the right modules. But i prefer
adding the 'append="hdd=ide-scsi"' line to /etc/lilo.conf.

-denis

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:35:25 -0400

In article <9gbo2l$32e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a few questions about it :
> 1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't
> supporte the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the
> Mandrake 8.0 kernel ?

No. The fact that the drives show up at all means you already have HPT370
support.

> 2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
> linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows
> 98 (i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
> compatible ?).

No idea how compatable or not they are, but I wouldn't bet my data on it.
But if you have a good backup, you can try setting it up.

I run software RAID on two drives connected to my HPT370 (same
motherboard, btw); but my box is Linux-only.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Drüing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AHA1542 SCSI Problem in 2.4.4
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:45:50 +0200

Hi,

I've got a little problem with my Adaptec AHA1541 Controller. I just
installed SuSE Linux 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.4. Now when I try to mount a CD-ROM
from my SCSI-drive I first get "unable to determine CD format" or something
like that two times and on the third try my kernel panics with "DMA Pool
exhausted"... The same problem occured when I tried to create a swap-space
on a SCSI-disk. The old 2.2.16 kernel (SuSE 7.0) worked just fine. Does
anyone know what the problem might be??

Thanks,
--Michael

P.S.: Here's a copy from my /var/log/messages - in case that helps:

Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 2
Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 2
Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 0
Jun 15 20:23:44 bilbo kernel: FAT bread failed
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 128
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: read_super_block: unable to read superblock on
dev 0b:01
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: read_old_super_block: try to find super block
in old location
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: read_old_super_block: can't find a reiserfs
filesystem on dev 0b:01.
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 0
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: FAT bread failed
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 0
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: FAT bread failed
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: sr: ran out of mem for scatter pad
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 128
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: read_super_block: unable to read superblock on
dev 0b:01
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: read_old_super_block: try to find super block
in old location
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: Warning - running low on DMA memory
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: dma_free_sectors:4
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: use_sg:0^Ii:0
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: request_bufflen:0
Jun 15 20:23:45 bilbo kernel: Total 0 sectors consumed

------------------------------

From: Manfred Wendler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Digitalcamera Kodak DC 4800
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:52:34 +0200

Hallo, =

ich habe mir Kodak DC 4800 gekauft.
Aber wie bekomme ich die Bilder jezt auf meinen Rechner?
Ich benutze Suse 7.1 und habe beide Kernel installiert: 2.2.18 und 2.4.0

Ich habe mir von http://jPhoto.sourceforge.net/ =

jphoto downgeloaded. Aber bei der Installation des RPM-Paketes
bekomme ich die Meldung:
failed dependencies: =

libgcjgc.so.1
libgcj.so.1

Beim Versuch die .tgz Version zu holen meldet Netscape am =

Ende des Downloads gunzip:/tmp/MO...tgz: not in gzip format

usbview kann die Kameradaten auslesen, zeigt sie allerdings in rot an.

Hat jemand ein Idee, ich bin f=FCr jeden Tipp dankbar

Gruss =

Manfred

------------------------------

From: Manfred Wendler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digitalcamera Kodak DC 4800
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:04:55 +0200

Sorry, =

I posted in the wrong language (or wrong newsgroup)

I bought this camera, but how can I get the pictures on my pc.
I=B4ve the SuSE 7.1 distribution with both kernel 2.2.18 und 2.4.0

I tried jphoto from http://jPhoto.sourceforge.net/
but rpm reports
failed dependencies:
libgcjgc.so.1
libgcj.so.1

when downloading the .gpz version
netscape says
gunzip:/tmp/MO...tgz: not in gzip format

Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance

Manfred

---

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:06:18 -0300

==============D6F948164DDB8CA36568E676

SDJo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Joe

If you're going with RedHat 7.1 or 2.4.x kernel, your best bet is a DLink
DE-650..
I've had a miserable time with Xircom but an old USR Magitronix card
works as well.
Trust me, avoid Xircom.

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain/Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59

SDJo wrote:
If you're going with RedHat 7.1 or 2.4.x kernel, your best bet is a DLink
DE-650..
works as well.
<pre>--&nbsp;

Jim
Chisholm&nbsp;<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service&nbsp;
Captain/Training Officer&nbsp; Bay Road Station 59
=======================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Leon Caruana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Problem with 3Com NIC, GUI not brought up.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:00:19 +0200

Hello!

I  am having a problem with my Linux PC (RH 7.1) and 3Com 3C509B TPO NIC in
that the Gnome GUI is not being brought up during boot. The Linux PC uses a
Win98 SE PC (running ICS) for Internet connectivity.

Win98 SE PC has IP address 192.168.0.1, Linux PC has a static-assigned
address 192.168.0.2

When I run interactive setup during boot, and I choose not to enable the
eth0 service the Gnome GUI runs OK and I can log in. However network
connectivity is not available until I bring up the etwork config window.
Bringing up the latter, even without changing/running anything is enough for
eth0 to activate. I can then browse normally.

If eth0 is allowed to start automatically it starts OK but when all services
are started and it is the time to bring up the Gnome GUI to log in, the
screen starts to flicker and remains so until I reboot.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I am a seasoned Win user but
new to Linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Leon Caruana
*[EMAIL PROTECTED]*

------------------------------

From: Adrian McMenamin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:41:08 +0100

Harald van Pee wrote:

> if
> ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/net/rtl8139.o
> will find the driver,
> then you can try to modify your file
> /etc/modules.conf
> alias eth0 off  -> alias eth0 rtl8139
>
> then use the commands
> depmod -a
> modprobe rtl8139
>
> for me this works with SuSE Linux

Thanks for the help, but this doesn't work.

Firstly, I don't have the driver (the version that ships appears to be
empty and I can't compile). When I use the version compiled against earlier
kernel it report errors.

Any other help anyone?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Denis Leroy)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Workaround to get HP Colorado IDE tape drives to work under RH7.1 (2.4
kernels).
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:45:35 -0700

Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I think that as long as I don't try to access the tape drive first
> as /dev/ht0 (and thus load the ide-tape module), then Denis's
> fix works fine.   I think I could just put this is rc.local
> or just load the modules when I need them to use the tape drive.
>
> I know several people had complained about not being able to use
> the HP Colorado IDE tape drives under RH7.1.   I've been trying
> to track them down without success.  I just came upon Denis's
> solution by luck, and I think it should be better advertised.

To do that, you can add the line

  alias ide-tape off

in the /etc/modules.conf file

Also, adding

  below st ide-scsi

will force the auto-load of ide-scsi when you access /dev/st0

-denis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Crazydj)
Subject: USB webcam tool
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:52:55 -0700

Hi @ll!!!
Can anyone tell me a good prog to shoot pix or film videos using an
USB webcam (Creative 2)???
I have looked for some tools on freshmeat and linuxapps but my
findings didn´t work in the way I expected they would do...
Thanx and best greets

Crazydj
http://www.crazydj.de

------------------------------

From: George Shapovalov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux X goes away???
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:53:21 -0700

Matroxes are supported fine in 4.x.
Loose red hat (if you do desktop that is, for company requiring support for their
servers RH is the best bet usually, but for desktop better stay with Mandrake, Suse,
Turbo Linux or if you are 'expert/advanced user' Slackware or Root Linux).
    If this is too much hassle just reinstall X from source.

Well,  before doing hard stuff:
actually it looks from original post, what you need is just to configure X properly:

Get text mode working first (set the distribution to boot into the text mode or edit
/etc/inittab to boot into appropriate runlevel)
then as root run xf86config to get basic working XF86Config file (if you installed
3.3.6 you may even use XF86Setup). Then play with modelines if you want to improve
it (use xvidtune after you bring X up).
Also if you have problems check which XF86Config you X server is using (look into
the log file - with 4.x it is located under /var/log or just lunch X with 'startx
&>startx.log')

------------------------------

From: George Shapovalov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: What to install for a laptop?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:08:57 -0700

How much do you want to do yourself (in terms of installing necessary things from
source instead of using prepackaged rpm's)?
Try Slackware or Root linux (search freshmeat). With the last you will get pretty
light installation still including all the modern stuff (glibc 2.2.1 kernel
2.4.2, kde 2.1, but if you don't install X you will get really tyny
installation).