Hi Guenter,

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 08:24:07 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2017 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:05:03 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > I'll submit the patch as-is upstream; at least it doesn't break anything.
> > > If it doesn't fix your problem, we'll have to look at it again at a later
> > > point.
> >
> > Given that this patch fixes a regression in kernels v4.7 to v.4.10,
> > shouldn't it go to stable@?
>
> The patch has a Fixes: tag, so that should happen automatically.
> I'll have to check if it applies cleanly to earlier kernels and if
> necessary send backport(s) to Greg.

I took a look at stable branches v4.9 and v4.10 and I can't find this
fix. Do you still plan to check if the fix applies and poke Greg about
it? Or do you want me to do it?

> > As a side note, I think the second half of the patch is redundant, it
> > only makes registration slightly faster on IT8705F, and could have bad
> > side effects at least in theory. The first half seems sufficient to
> > me...
>
> It only affects systems with two Super-IO chips, and I wanted to play safe.
> The
> worst side effect I can imagine would be that a second chip in a system with
> IT8705 as first chip would not be accepted, which is not worse than before
> when only one chip was supported.

But isn't as good as doing the right thing, which would require less
code. So I don't really follow your logic.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support