On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 03:45:15PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Well, I'm not really sure this was intentional, but I wonder how other bus
> > > types work in that respect?
> >
> > We have the same for platform bus, if that's what you are asking.
> >
> > It probably doesn't hurt to have this patch applied but it might cause
> > inadvertent match if for some reason there is an I2C client driver that
> > happens to have INTABCD I2C id in its list.
>
> Well, if they have that id in their lists, they are supposed to be able to
> handle this device, aren't they?  What other reason may be there for them
> to put that id into their lists?

If we have two ACPI enumerated devices, they have following modalias:

  i2c-device0:  i2c:INTABCD:00
                acpi:INTABCD

  i2c-device1:  i2c:INTABCD:01
                acpi:INTABCD

Likelihood that some random I2C driver has INTABCD:00 or INTABCD:01 ids in
their list is minimal. However, when you turn it to this:

  i2c-device0:  i2c:INTABCD
                acpi:INTABCD

  i2c-device1:  i2c:INTABCD
                acpi:INTABCD

It might be possible that we get a match that isn't supposed to happen.
Well, OK it is pretty remote but anyway :-)