On 04/09/2014 01:09 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 13:02 -0400, Prarit Bhargava wrote:

>>> This isn't really a good approach. These aren't standardised ACPI
>>> methods, so you have no guarantee that they exist. The fact that a
>>
>> I've looked at the ACPI dump across six different systems (3 different
>> vendors,
>> and an intel whitebox), and the data appears to be identical.  Could Intel
>> change these?  Yes, of course they could, but that's no different from any
>> other
>> undocumented driver in the kernel.
>
> Not really. These are an internal implementation detail, not an exported
> interface. We try to write drivers for exported interfaces, even if
> they're not documented.
>
>>> method with one of these names exists is no guarantee that it has the
>>> same behaviour as the ones on your board. There's no guarantee that
>>> you're not racing against the firmware.
>>>

>> I think there is -- AFAICT the operations are serialized; if they aren't
>> that is
>> an associated risk.  Hopefully someone from Intel will lend a hand here and
>> let
>> me know if I'm doing something horrible ;)
>
> Imagine an i2c chip with indexed register access. What stops:
>
> CPU0 (i2c):           CPU1 (ACPI):
> SBWB register address
>                       SBWB register address
> SBRB register value
>                       SBRB register value

Your example is no different from what we've told people to do right now when
they see the ACPI resource conflict message and use a kernel parameter to
override the error condition.  I'm not disputing that this could be a problem --
see my previous comment about hoping that someone @ Intel will let us know if
we're doing something horrible.

P.