> > 'No EDID data' says bootlog. Also, all 0 when reading that i2c client
> > address afterwards. I don't see or sense anything suspicious with the
> > I2C transfers itself from remote.
>
> Did you use the DRM/KMS modetest program to display stuff on the HDMI
> monitor? To trigger the error case you need to a couple of steps -

Nope, I have to admit I assumed when the kernel says that it has no EDID
data that it would have triggered reading the data from the monitor.

> HDMI monitor and the HDMI encoder chip works ok, but the bits between
> the HDMI encoder chip and the I2C master on the SoCs may need some
> more attention.

I understood that the encoder needs a trigger to read the data. It then
provides EDID data via a special I2C device address. That is read by a
simple 64-byte I2C read transfer which I didn't have issues with here.
And reading it byte-per-byte gave the same results.