On 10/01/2015 11:37 PM, Wolfram Sang wrote:

This is for discussion so I didn't cc sta...@vger.kernel.org yet. I was
thinking would it work if we'd keep the stable name but have an another
symlink in /sys/bus/i2c/devices/ that uses "x-00yz" name. However this
feels ill-use of devices directory and probably causes more troubles
elsewhere.

Do you foresee troubles already? I am still in favour of a symlink.

I haven't looked at this for a while but one problem was that devices/ directory belongs to private structure of struct bus_type and in order to create a symlink there it needs to done in drivers/base/bus.c: bus_add_device() which felt quite hackish to me.

--
Jarkko