-GAS_STATUS     = $(shell $(srctree)/arch/ia64/scripts/check-gas "$(CC)"
"$(OBJDUMP)")
-CPPFLAGS += $(shell $(srctree)/arch/ia64/scripts/toolchain-flags "$(CC)"
"$(OBJDUMP)" "$(READELF)")

If we delete these calls from the Makefile, then should we also
delete the scripts themselves (and the test programs that they
use) from arch/ia64/scripts?

+CPPFLAGS += -DHAVE_WORKING_TEXT_ALIGN -DHAVE_MODEL_SMALL_ATTRIBUTE
-DHAVE_SERIALIZE_DIRECTIVE

and if we are going to just unconditionally set these defines, perhaps
we should clean the #ifdef'd code out of the source tree so we can
remove this clutter from the Makefile too?

It all sounds good to me ... but I'll wait a few more days in case
somebody who knows better is still on their winter holiday break.
[This is 2.6.25 cleanup material anyway, so waiting is not an issue]

-Tony
-