Albert Lee wrote:

 > Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

Problem: Some bad behaved CD-ROM drives will return more data than ask to. (I have such CD-RW drive and it crashed the kernel.)

These devices are compliant with original ATAPI spec.

Such condition shouldn't be treated as an error
- extra data should be read and dumped.

Hi Bart,

For read, we can read and discard the extra data from the device.
For write, the device is asking for more data than we have.
Should we supply some dummy data to the device? Or we just stop and return it as error?

For write, we need to pad. For DMA, we need to add additional zeroes, until the DMA transfer ends on a dword boundary. For PIO, we must at least pad to a word boundary.

        Jeff