Hello, Larry.

Larry Battraw wrote:
  I installed a SiL3114-based PCI card (Syba) and Western Digital
WD2500SD in my system recently and haven't been able to get the system
to write/read any data from the drive beyond the initial drive probe.  I
get a lot of messages about "ATA: abnormal status 0xD8 on port
0xF081C0C7" and SCSI parity errors.  This seems to be a problem that
affected people quite a while ago, and I'm not sure why it's appearing
with a recent kernel (2.6.12.5).  I've attached the output from dmesg.
Any ideas on what's happening?

Are you positive that it's not a hardware problem? Can you please try the followings?

 * another port
 * another cable
 * try to use them in Windows :-(

It seems that there are considerable number of crappy cables and controllers out in the wild these days, and, combined with currently not-so-robust error recovery of libata, they tend to result in unusable state.

--
tejun