Hello,

Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
>> 1. It will handle all device types (ATAPI, PATA, SATA, batteries);
>>
>> 2. It will do the right thing on plug and unplug.  This means telling the
>> rest of the kernel to disable the device in the bay, for example.  Right now
>> we shutdown one end of the PATA/SATA link on ThinkPads eletrically, and
>> leave libata to scream blood murder until it disables its end due to too
>> many retries, for example;

:-)

> Personally - I think tighter integration to libata here would be beneficial.
> Once libata acpi support is straightened out, if we can store acpi handles
> associated with libata devices, we can perhaps have a mechanism of obtaining
> ata_device structs so that we can have a nice way of telling libata to
> delete devices etc.  I am hoping libata-acpi will be straightened out for
> 2.6.22.

I dunno what the thread is really about but can't this be dealt within
acpid?  Finding out the correct scsi host node can be tricky but I think
it can be done reliably by jumping through some sysfs whoops.  Once
you're there, telling libata to kill or probe is really easy.

  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices

Thanks.

--
tejun