>>> When we used 2.6.18 and 2.6.20 on ASUS sis-671 motherboard, We have some
>>> problem: cannot find the harddisk controller.
>>> In BIOS, the SATA mode is 2P+2IDE.
>>>
>>> The official kernel 2.6.18, 2.6.20 and new 2.6.21 does not work, i get
>>> some information about sata_sis 0.7.1 from you, may I get it ?
>>>
>>> We are so urgent, please help me.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much!!!!
>>>

>> Asus is selling a P5X-MX SE motherboard with a SiS968
>> southbridge. The SiS671 Northbridge is not intresting for the SATA-support.
>> Currently it is only planned to support this chipset in
>> AHCI-mode. You should select the AHCI mode for the SATA-ports in the
>> BIOS. The ahci driver should support your board.
>> kernel 2.6.20 should be sufficient.
>> If this does not work, please provide the output of
>> lspci -vvxxx and the selected mode for the SATA-port.
>>

>   new message:
> SATA harddisk mode: IDE in BIOS
> Port on SATA2 on motherboard failed. Dmesg said "ata2: SATA link down
> (SStatus 0 SControl 0)".
> Port on SATA1 on motherboard successed, found the harddisk and partitions.
>
> What is the difference between SATA1 port and SATA2 port on motherboard,
> is it a number of SATA port or different SATA version?

The 966/968 has a primary and a secondary controller. Both controllers
are connected with 2 SATA-ports,a master and a slave port. That is
different to other SATA controllers.

The secondary controller on your board is not connected with SATA-ports.

The problem:
Slave only configurations may not work.If you are only connecting the
SATA-port 2, you have a slave only configuration.
The ata2 in your dmesg is the unused secondary controller.

I have retested the driver with SiS966 and kernel 2.6.22-rc3. It works
correctly on my board on all ports.

If you want to be sure that the disks are working
Please use the master device (port 1 on your board)
You can also try to use the kernel version i have tested.

Uwe Koziolek