Andrew Hall wrote:
Does piix driver work?  If so, can you post boot dmesg and the result
of
'hdparm -I /dev/hdX'?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be detected at all, although I'm not
exactly sure which driver you're referring to. I have tried:

New ATA drivers: Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support - is detected but fails
Intel PATA MPIIX support - is not detected at all (which I think is right)
Intel PATA old PIIX support (Experimental) - is not detected at all (which I
think is wrong - it should be)

Old ATA/IDE driver:
Intel PIIXn chipsets support - is not detected at all (which is right as the
bus is SATA)

I think Tejun would like you to patch the PCI ID for your ICH8
into the "Old ATA/IDE PIIXn" driver, and then try that.

Cheers