Tejun Heo writes:
Sounds awfully similar to the recent nvidia data corruption issue.  It
was involving the IOMMU and one of the workarounds was not using IOMMU,
IIRC.  Please turn off IOMMU and see what happens.  You can turn IOMMU
off by passing "iommu=off" as kernel parameter.
--
tejun

That indeed seems to have fixed the problem - I've been pulling my hair out forever about this! Is this something I'll need to leave in forever, is it supposed to get fixed, etc.? I'm going to continue doing testing and really try to thrash it tonight (I just did the 'copy an ISO 5 times' test that always failed before - it succeeds now).
Thanks for the help.