Alan Cox wrote:
#1      We assume identify works. Early ATA actually lists this command
as optional

ITYM we assume identify command exists on the device?

We certainly do not assume IDENTIFY command, if exists, succeeds.

What is the proper probing method -- notice if command-aborted is returned and do something from there?

#2      We don't allow for INIT_DEV_PARAMS failing which it may do on
some early IDE pre ATA devices

Suggested handling? Ignore device, since we don't know what state its in, if this fails?

We check ATA < 4 || non-LBA capable when deciding whether to issue
INIT_DEV_PARAMS. ATA 4+ however mandate LBA so the second case isn't
theoretically at least possible.

I agree, though I figured that the current code was more robust, in case some weirdo device decided to forget its LBA-ness.

No strong opinions here, though.

So in theory we can persuade libata to drive original MFM/RLL disks with
relatively few changes

Crazy :)

        Jeff