Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

please look at -mm or IDE quilt tree instead. :)

  Looking...

When are you planning to push out to Linus the ide-mode-limiting-fixes-for-user-requested-speed-changes.patch? I'd like my HPT37x SATA mode filtering stuff to be atop of this one, after looking at it.

Preferably 2.6.24 material and ide_rate_filter() FIXME (respecting device PIO
limits) still needs to be addressed before pushing all mode limiting patches
upstream.

   Maybe I'll look into this...

ide_rate_filter() happily uses ide_find_dma_mode() nowadays (however this
hpt366 patch is for vanilla kernel which doesn't have the needed changes).

Yeah, it keeps being in the same vein (same bug rather :-) as the old code, i.e. not looking at hwif->mwdma_mask when falling back in ide_rate_filter()...

Worth fixing but deserves a separate patch.

   It does. Unfortunately, after you said that this issue has been already
dealt width, I've dropped (and lost) the code fixing this -- will have to redo
it now. :-/
   I'm now envisioning the HPT37[24] SATA filtering work as series of n patches:

[1/4] introduce drive_is_sata() helper + minor fix to eighty_ninty_three()
[2/4] hpt366: UltraDMA mode filter for SATA cards
[3/4] fix ide_rate_filter() to respect hwif->mwdma_mask
[4/4] introduce mwdma_filter() method and use it for HPT37x-based SATA cards

Bart

MBR, Sergei