I succeeded in solving the problem today, using a slightly modified version
of Isaac Aaron's script. Here is a summary of the problem and the solution:

Problem: A "standard" RH 5.2 station, it was not able to connect to an ISP
due to the connection failing with config-requests a few seconds after the
dialup
connection was made, and both local and gateway IP's were assigned.

The only "change" to the station was its inclusion in a two-station peer to
peer network
using hosts and resolv.conf.

Isaac's script with the addition of one line solved the problem:
// Begin script

#!/bin/bash
#
# Note: You have to change your user/password settings
# where noted (there are three places)
#

exec pppd connect \
'chat -v \
TIMEOUT 45 \
"" ATZ \
OK ATDT8609999 \
ABORT "NO CARRIER" \
ABORT BUSY \
ABORT "NO DIALTONE" \
ABORT WAITING \
TIMEOUT 45 \
"ogin:" "dilogsys" \
"word:" "********"' \
     -detach crtscts modem defaultroute \
     noipdefault \    # <------- This in new
     user dilogsys \
     /dev/modem 57600 lock

// End script---------------------------------------------------

According to the pppd documentation, the inserted line prevents pppd from
looking in resolv.conf and
hosts.

I have not as yet found a way of implementing this throught the X
configuration tools.

Notice that in a sense this problem has elements of "newbie" blues and the
RTFM syndrome.
Unfortunately it chewed up at least 8 hours of my time (most trying to figure
out which FM to R)
and the time of the other contributors. Linux is not going to get anywhere
unless this kind of "futzing around"
can be largely eliminated.

Thanks once again to everyone who replied.

Daniel Feiglin

Daniel Feiglin wrote:

> I had not intended bothering the list with this, but I this speaks for
> itself ...

>          בע יין:  Two Questions
>    Date:
>          Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:40:13 +0300
>    From:
>          "support" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>      To:
>          "Daniel Feiglin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Dear customer.
>
> Thank you for your letter.
>
> You have to change your script.
> The support department of internet gold doesn't support Linux.
>
> If you still have questions you can call the support by phone in
> 03-5763000
> and we will be very happy to help you.
>
> Thank you,
> Tamir
> Internet gold support
> 03-5763000

begin:          vcard
fn:             Daniel Feiglin
n:              Feiglin;Daniel
org:            Dilog Computers Ltd.
adr:            POB 36;;;Shavei Shomron, Mobile Post;;44858;ISRAEL
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:       972 9 861 6204
tel;fax:        972 9 862 1052
tel;home:       972 9 832 0939