On Mon, 17 May 1999, Barid Bel Medar wrote:

> That is my problem, althought I know how to mount floppy/cdrom, there is no
> such thing in the /dev/ as hda0 or hda1 where my partitions are suppose to
> be.
> Should I simply creat the directories there and then try to mount them?
if you have and IDE drive as the primary master, then you should have
entries in /dev - /dev/hda0 /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 and so on.. RedHat put's
them there. if you don't have any, you simple need to create the
appropriate files there (using cat or something). on the RedHat CD you
should be able to find and RPM that does this for you (called dev_entries
or something ?).

> What is fstab? A configoration file?
it's the configuration file for the mount command and some other utilities
that handle file systems. read 'info fstab'.

> In the xterm, simply type XF86Setup and follow the directions? I fix that
in xterm ??? you serious ?? since XF86Setup runs X , I don't think it will
be wise to run it from inside X. run it from a console. if your system
automaticly boot to X, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to goto a console. you might need
to put the system back in runlevel 3 (the runlevel where X isn't active
all the time) in order to configure X, but typing 'init 3'.

> problem already, had to reinstall cause I misuses fdisk. So I have 1024X764
> And what about the color patterns? I think that I've 256 colors only in
> linux, at the moment. I *can* change that right?
in XF86Setup there's a tab called 'ModeSelection' in there you can change
what resolutions will be available to you in X (you can choose as many as
you like -then you switch them from X using CTRL-ALT-+/-), and color
depth.  you can also force X to start with a specified color depth by
running it with 'startx -- -bpp 32' to force it to 32 bits per pixel mode.
after you change everything you want, you can do 'startx' , reboot to get
X running from the bootup, or simply type 'init 5' to go back to runlevel
5 where X is running.

> Again, what is the setup tool, how can it be reachable, through XF68Setup?
just type setup in a console.

> It's plugged into one of the white entrance on the mother board, Windows
that's a PCI port . ISA and EISA are black, VLB are brown, and AGP are
sort of light mud color (what's wrong with painting them blue ? I need to
talk about it with the guys at VESA :-).

> name it "ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Voice Modem" on com4, I need no special
> software for it.
well - quoting from the ESS Technologies website  : "All TeleDrive chips
are controllor-less .... modem solutions" which means that you're screwed.

> Can I define it as 36 kpbs moden and try to use it then?
no, as long as you don't have the controller software installed (which is
only for windows) you're out of luck.

Oded