Hi,

I have some questions about ISDN and Linux. I tried to ask Bezeq,
but it seems that they don't know even basic facts about ISDN (from
my talks with them, it looks that they even don't know Hebrew; When
I tried to ask about identifying the number that the caller DIALED,
they tried to detail the "caller-ID" service, and after 6 (!) times
I explained, they began to understand my question, but then asked
me: "Why the hell, do you want to know that number; Don't you know
your number?"...).

Currently, I have an analog (normal) phone line, which is connected
7*24 to a Linux machine. Using mgetty, it receives both faxes and
logins on the same line and with the same number. The logins may be
either simple logins or PPP clients (so the Linux is used as a PPPD
server). I want to replace this line by an ISDN line. My questions:

1. Are my current configuration and features supported by ISDN?
   Does it require anything special?  (e.g. specific ISDN modem,
   rather than a simple ISDN modem supplied by the various ISPs).

2. ISDN is a double line (each 64Kb); Is it possible to have 2 calls
   simultaneously?  For example, call out, and still being able to
   receive faxes and logins (of course, each using only 64Kb)?

3. According to Bezeq's prospects, one ISDN line supports up to 8
   numbers (with a near-zero cost per number); Is there a way,
   preferrably by mgetty, to recognize the number that the caller
   dialed?  My purpose is to have more than one number, each number
   for another purpose (one for logins, one for business faxes, one
   for private faxes, etc.), so while receiving a call, mgetty (or
   another program) can recognize the number which was dialed, and
   behave according to my rules (one number causes an e-mail to be
   sent, another number causes the fax to be converted to PostScript
   and be sent to the printer, etc.).

4. Please answer this question EVEN if ISDN is supported WELL under
   Linux: I heard that there is an NT box ("NT" does not have
   anything to do with Microsoft; It is the name of a box which is
   connected to an ISDN line), which "emulates" an analog line, so
   equipment for standard lines (like legacy phones) can be
   connected to an ISDN line, and no special equipment is required;
   Can this box allow me to continue to use my current configuration
   (i.e. current analog modem, mgetty, etc.) till I'll replace all
   the needed?  Of course, in the future I want to enjoy the extra
   features of ISDN I mentioned above (8 numbers, 2 simultaneous
   calls, etc.) but Meanwhile I already want to replace the line.

Thanks in advance,
--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]