About the book recommended below (Maximum Security - A hacker's guide...) -

Its very comprehensive and serious, though I don't know how good it is
(seems, at least, good). But, if you'd like a more updated, Linux oriented
one (VERY important for beginners, IMHO, especially in the Linux
fast-pacing world) there's a new book, kind of a sequel for that one due
soon for Linux Security. (check out amazon or the like for more details)

Boaz.