Hello list ...
this is a subject I have never seen discussed here, but if anyone has some
pointers, I'd love to have them ..

My new system includes a TV Tuner and video capture card - it's a Tekram
M205 (which is no longer in production) which sports the BrookTree (now
Connixe or something) Bt848 chip.
this chip is supported using the bttv module (which comes already compiled
with RH6.1) - the problem is that this card is never mentioned anywhere in
the module's docs. so, anyway - I installed the module, loaded it and all
the other relevant modules , including tuner.o which needs to get an
argument specifying the tuner type (the tuner on my card has a big Phllips
logo, but just in case - I tried all other settings too). then I installed
KwinTV which is a lovely application (much better then the Lose9x software
I got with the card ;-) that should allow me to watch tv on my KDE
desktop. all was fine and well, nobody complained , except that bttv.o
thinks that my card is a Miro PCTV card (it says so in the kernel log).
but when I got down to scanning for programs , all I could get was black
and white , somewhat distorted images. I got bad interlacing problems,
where some scanlines get refreshed every 5 minutes or so , leaving "image
burn like" marks on the TV window. I can only see in B&W . no sound (this
has nothing to do with the sound card , which I have problems with too,
since I connect the speakers directly to the TV card's audio out) and to
top it all - this , the best quality I could get, I got setting the
channel for NTSC input (in israel we use PAL , right ?)....
here's a snapshot of me trying to set up the TV stations (so you can see
how bad it is ) : http://www.geek.co.il/kwintv.gif

any comments will be appreciated.
oh, one more things - occasionaly (about every 30 mins or so) my system
locks up for a few seconds, and this get's dumped to the console (the
first line as the freeze happens, and the second when it releases) anyone
care to tell me why does it happen and how to make it stop doing that ? :

apmd[235]: System Standby
apmd[235]: Standby Resume after 00:00:06 (-1% unknown) AC power

Thanks a Bunch .

Oded

--
We are loved