What about TrueType fonts? Windows has some fine TTFs . RedHat's font
server (that is - their own hacked xfs) supports TTFs, so basically all
you need to do is:

1. copy some .ttf files (for instance: from /mnt/dosc/windows/Fonts) to a
certain directory. For the sake of this example I assume it is
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/HebTtf
2. cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/HebTtf
3. ttmkfdir >fonts.dir
4. chkfontpath --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/HebTtf

At this point you should be able to use those fonts. use
xlsfonts/xfontsel/gfontsel/whatever to see if they were indeed installed.

Note that chkfontpath seems to be quite buggy. It gave me many segfaults.
It also doesn't like relative font pathes, and a path that ends with "/",
but does not verify that its input doesn't contain those.
In case of any problem with chkfontpath - simply edit /etc/X11/fs/config
and restart xfs (and X if necessary).
(can anybody add some more useful comments here?)

However - not all is well - for instance - I did not manage to use a
hebrew ttf font as a default font in kde. For some strange reason I can't
see, for instance, in "Display Properties" I could not set the font
to arial with 8859-8 charset, only to charsets iso8859-1 and koi8-r
(kfontmanager shows arial/iso8859-8 *is* installed)
The above example is from this computer which is RH 6.0/kde 1.1.2-pre2 .

Anyone here with better luck?

Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir