Ayal Sharon: I tried to reply to you but hotmail kicked the message
back. in the meantime, I'm posting it to the entire list, since it is
still on-topic.

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Ayal Sharon wrote:

> They all run the same applications (Emacs, Apache, Gimp, etc). They all run
> the same Shells - at least I assume that they do. I presume that they all
> have the same GUI's - either Gnome or KDE. I presume that they all have the
> same Linux Kernel. So what's the difference? Is it the applications that
> they choose to bundle in their "packages"?

the way the installation helps you decide on the configuration, the way
it eases upgrading software or drivers over time, the way the GUI menues
get updated or not when new software is installed, the way the packages
are configured to work together, the central configuration tool they
provide to save you learning about the 30-40 config files and their
formats you would edit directly otherwise, and the easiness of adding
new hardware cards support to the system. (plus other small differences
ofcourse :-)

> Well, in any case, from what you told me, it sounds as if SuSE is the best
> match for me, because I want to do programming. At work I am currently
> building simple web sites with HTML and some JavaScript, but I want to learn
> CGI Scripting, and to experiment with Gimp, Apache, and also with one of the
> free Linux Databases. I heard that emacs is a good HTML editor, so I want to
> try it out as well.

Emacs hs grown from being an editor to an entire work environment. HTML
is just one of the many things it does :-)

yap, SuSE is most probably a good start. I have CDs here of their last
version, which will update itself yo the latest online.

> Do you know where I can find an FAQ for installing Linux so it will "dual
> boot"?

linuxdoc.org, like everything else.

pretty much, you make sure you have the spare room (overwrite an empty
partition or resize with Partition magic) and the installation-script
will ask you what to do, and you will easely get it to install right. be
sure to have the root partition (or a small 10-20 meg one used as
/boot) is within the first 1024 cylinders of the disk you install
on. that's the only trick.

I think we also (should) cover this in the list's FAQ, I hope you all
read it.