Hello!
I use at home SuSE 6.3 (No updates to the kernel).
I have an AWE64 sound card. But I think it's not so important for this
problem.
Anyway, I managed to install ALSA (the newest) and make it work, but
only under root.
Don't be mistaken I made "chmod a+rx /dev/mixer" (or something like
that) how kde ask. So, it helps to start the mixer, but sound I still
don't have a regular user.
What I do have on a regular user is the microphone working, when I talk
to it I can hear my self over the speakers, but that's it. No audio,
MIDI, and etc.

I wish you to help me.

(P.S. I didn't forget to make "modprobe -a snd-card-sb16" and for
"snd-pcm-oss" first as a root)

Noam Meltzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]