Well, let me try to help here (although I don't have Chicony Laptop)

Grab the latest X server (SVGA) and XConfigurator from the PIGLET
(Redhat 6.2 beta) - this should solve your problem.

Oh, in Redhat XF86Config sits on /etc/X11/ - not /etc/

Hetz

mulix wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have some laptop problems here, and would very much appreciate any
> help.
>
> I have a new Chicony laptop. I've managed to install RedHat 6.0, however
> X refuses to start. I downloaded the latest X, which supposedly supports
> the graphics card (a Silicon Motion LynxEM SMI 711) but couldn't get it
> to work. I tried both using the new frame buffer device and "standard"
> x, but neither seem to work.
>
> What would really make my day is the /etc/XF86Config from someone with
> this (or similar) laptop model.
>
> Otherwise, any other pointers on running linux on laptop will be
> appreciated, especially since I haven't messed yet with neither pcmcia
> (for the network and modem cards) nor apm.
>
> TIA!
> --
> mulix.
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead

Hetz Ben Hamo - Sys. Admin. - Intercomp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]