On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 09:58:32PM +0000, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> The man has decided to use SurFree (the free payment ISP) - and in order to
> connect - you must use THEIR dialer program and NOT something else. Their
> program will give you after connecting - a window with advertisement and
> you cannot remove it (but you can move it I think). The entire PPP
> connection is inside this dialer - so you cannot use anything else to
> connect to them..
>
> You can, ofcourse, use some sort of sniffer to see whats going in & out and
> emulate it on Linux - but do u see many people doing this?

AFAIK it IS using services from Windows' standard dial-up, but first
it retrieves the hidden username and password for the REAL
connection. There are programs that simply look up this data once the
connection is set, so that you can also dial-up the normal way.

So I think it is possible to do it on other OSs... No emulation
needed. But I wouldn't consider it moral unless you also clone the ad
application, and I *REALLY* don't see hackers (in both meanings)
starting to invest their time into THAT :)

Me, I can't see why they haven't chosen the easy path: have a normal
dial-in PPP connection open to all, and just install a transparent
proxy on port 80 slapping a click bar on the top of every HTML page
passing through.

> Thanks
> Hetz

        - Adi Stav