Dilog Mail wrote:

> I would like to increase the number of processes on a system from the
> 1024 default and
> also to increase the number of processes runnable by a user from it's
> current default.
> For example, on a KDE system, there are somewhere between 100-130
> available processes.
> (I am forking off many child "clients" to bombard a server which I have
> developed.I cannot
> seem to create more than about 115 of them at a time. I need to get to
> several hundred.)
>
> How do you do this? (There is a constant, CHILD_MAX in a few places
> which defaults to 999.
> Is changing that necessary, sufficient? Is a kernel rebuild needed?

Thanks for the replies!

1. I specifically did NOT want to use threads, since I want do do some
of my instrumentation on separate processes.
2. The ulimit command is an internal bash command, and is documented in
my
favourite O'Reilly bash book. It didn't help.
3. Omer's answer, which I will be trying looks best and I append the
short document to which he refered:

>   by Brian King [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] - Apr 15, 2000
>   If your running a large production server under linux, there is a chance that
>you'll run over the maximum number of processes. too
>   increase the number of process in 2.2 and 2.0 kernels, edit
>/usr/include/linux/tasks.h
>   #define NR_TASKS 2560 /* On x86 Max 4092, or 4090 w/APM configured. */
>   modify this line to specify the number of process you want and recompile your
>kernel. If you go over 4092, you will get a compile
>   error, or your kernel won't be able to boot.
>   In the 2.3 and upcoming 2.4 series there is no limit to the number of processes
>available, and can be modified through the file
>   /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max. ie "cat 100000 > /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max"

Well, folks, off I go to do a kernel rebuild.

Thanks all & seeya soon!