Sadly I can say being there done that or in more detail:

Mandrake just introduced me to a new partition type:
id:85  name:Linux extended

It changed the usual  (this days) number 2  extended partition
from id: f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA) to the above.

WinXX did not like it and of course ignored it's FAT32 logical partition
that now was defined on the Linux extended.

Changing the type of the extended partition back to  f ,
fixed every thing.
Now WinXX is happy and Linux does not care.

Hope This helped.
Bye
Gal