On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Richard Fiedler wrote:

> I need some direction about SSL.
>
> I have a server (in the USA) I am controlling from here mainly with a
> browser.

don't you have ssh and root on the remote machine? that should be more
than enough. if you don't have a secure root on the remote machine,
there is no way to install SSL on the server anyway.

> It would be nice to see that little padlock icon on the lower left of my
> browser so I know that no one is listening in on my passwords and such.

it means installing extra modules for Apache. I believe you can find
them in RPM form on any Mandrake-crypto mirror, iglu.org.il included. I
believe under /pub/distribution/Mandrake-crypto or something.

> I visited openssl.org site but all I see is source and I don't know how to
> complile. All I do is install rpm's.

you should not be afraid of compiling stuff. ever bought a
do-it-yourself desk or cupboard from Home Depot? this is usually even
easier. becomes even more painless after the first few :)

--
Ira Abramov, GNU/Linux advocate.

(@-            "I think...I think it's in my basement.
//\            Let me go upstairs and check."
v_/_                    - M.C. Escher (1898-1972)