On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Chances are that the cables connection won't be the bottleneck:
> Cable modems give you around 2Mbps (*bits* per second) upstream and
> at least around 5Mbps downstream (shared) downstream (from the ISP to your
> computer).

as far as i understood, cable connection in general uses shared media
(both upstream and downstream). what's more, their normal upstream
connection is apprently VERY limited in its capacity, as cable T.V. was
originaly meant for one-way communicatinos only.

nonstop claims they will gurantee at least 05.Mbps for the downstream
connection (which is about 4 times faster then a dual channel ISDN
connection) - i wonder how this will work when their network becomes
loaded (i.e. when you and all your neighbours from the block connect
simultaneously over the shared media).

> Does the ISP have a 5Mbps connection to IIX? to USA? So if you don't use
> your ISPs servers too much chances are that the bottleneck will be either
> his connection, or somewhere farther. Nothing to do with cables. ADSL has
> the same probem (maybe even ISDN connections have similar problems).

except that for ADSL, the link from the local loop back to bezeq's system
could potentially be much wider then that of the cables system, and is
not using shared media.

> No. We got around one bottleneck. We now talk about generally faster
> speeds.

that only during the experimentation. wait till they start giving a real
service for a mass of users.

guy

"For world domination - press 1,