On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That was the problem. Thanks for your patience.
>
> So now I have two questions:
>
> 1 - Is there a good tutorial or reference where I should have looked for this?
> I spent alot of time looking before I posted the question, but didn't find the
> answer. Inthe **good old days** of DOS I would have found the solution with
> very little effort. :-)

As for a reference: the man page, of course.

You can find that right in the INVOCATION section of the man page for
bash.

Theere is a package in mandrake (and probably other distros as well.
Haven't checked) called bash-doc which contains extra documantation about
bash, but I suppose that's mostly about scripts.

You probably also noticed the /etc/profile.d directory, which is used (at
least on mandrake) as a place for seperate packages to put their own init
scripts (which saves them the need of editing /etc/profile and
/etc/csh.login just to add an extra directory to a certain PATH.

>  2 - Can you see any reason to put a PATH command in /root/.bashrc where it
> overwrites the default in etc/profile? I suppose I could have added the
> directory I wanted there, but instead I deleted the PATH command so the default
> path from /etc/profile would take effect. It seems to me that the whole point
> of having config files in /etc is to keep them all in one convenient location.
> Only special changes should be done elsewhere.

root is not just a user like anyone else. For instance, maybe some special
care has to be taken so that the root account can function correctly when
/usr is not availble. Or maybe you don't want to expose root's PATH to
whatever was added in the PATH by some /etc/profile.d script (those two
are just speculations).

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]