Maxim Kryachko wrote:

> Hi list.
> Does Subj. work with Linux and where I can find all the hardware
> compatibility info in order to not to bother you with "RTFM" questions? :-)
> Thank you.

I'm working with Sony AIT-1 Tape (SDX-300C, IIRC).

It works o.k., as one would expect but I can only advise you not to buy this.
Why?

1. It's expensive (mostly the tape).

2. Check out http://www.linuxtapecert.org/ .
This site is dedicated to testing and bench'ing and comparing backup tapes under
Linux. An old press release there (I think its gone by now) said that they we're
testing the Sony AIT-1 tape on mar' 99, yet I couldn't see any results on their
site many months after that date. After a short email session I learned from the
guys there that Sony had decided that it doesn't want/need to take part in the
Linux tape certification program. As simple as that.
With that fact in mind - I can advise you not to buy Sony tapes. that's what I
would have done.

3. I also have some experience with Ecrix VXA-1 internal tape. The drive itself
is cheap, but tapes are quite expensive. This tape is also considered very good,
with some HW innovtions. It's also proudly well(?) supported under Linux, and
you can find it in the above mentioned site.

Boaz.
--
/"\
\ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign