Hi List,

I am trying (realy hard) to get bidi-abiword  work on my Mandrake 8.0
linux.

So I compiled abiword-0.7.14-2 (with bidi enabled) and installed it
just as they say you should.

HOWEVER: I cannot get the hebrew to work!!

I wish to work with *unicode* hebrew. So I this is what I did:

1. Modified XF86Config-4 file so it would have hebrew keymap (according
   to the instructions in IGLU)
2. Defined LANG=he_IL.UTF-8

3. Copied some ttf fonts from Window (Arial + Courier New) to the
      AbiSuite/font directory and added only the iso-10646-1 entries to the
      fonts.dir, fonts.scale files

Now when I run abiword I can use these ttf fonts only in english. When I
pass to hebrew (pressing left-shfit + right-shift), I get some undifined
symbols on the screen. However, the BiDi mechanisem seems to work well -
that is, the direction of writing changes as it should.

I think it actually idetifies the hebrew letters becuase when I save the
file as utf8, and browse it in an utf-8 enabled xterm - I see just what I
wrote.

However, I cannot see it on the screen...

btw: the utf8 enabled xterm works just fine, and shows the hebrew
letters....

(*) I also tried to put the ttf fonts in a UTF-8 subdirectory under
    AbiSuite/fonts (If I understood the vauge instructions of abiword) - but
     then abiword did not recognize them...

Any suggestions?

          Thanks,
          Itai.