Christoph Bugel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I want to upgrade my Linux box, and I want to do it in "Do It
> Yourself" style.  (better price/quality, interesting learning
> experience, and I refuse to pay the microsoft tax)
>
> So -- Do you have any tips about where to buy hardware? any good
> online websites in israel? any good retail stores?

This is kind of OT here, but Omer and Marc will be lenient, I hope.

Why don't you go to the nearest computer store to you (btw, if you
want tips like that you better tell us where you live - I don't think
there is a need to shop in Jerusalem if you live in Haifa)? Just tell
them you want a virgin disk without Windows on it. Not that I buy a
lot of computers, but it should not be a problem nowadays, unless you
shop at Shekem Electric or any other big operation that only do
prepackaged boxes.

I bought my last computer a few months ago in a shop in Herzlia, just
told them which components I wanted, told them up front I wanted no
Windows. They build the box, put my old HD and network card into it, I
paid them.

Previously, I had good experience with SGM, who were not cheap but
I had a service contract with them through a company I worked for.

Best price is IMHO kinda silly - they all have discounts on this and
that, and it's open to negotiation. It's up to you to verify you have
not been charged M$ tax.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"If it ain't broken, it has not got enough features yet."