On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hate questions that begin **sometimes such and such happens for no apparent
> reason**, but I have no choice but to ask.  I do have a problem that occurs
> only now and then and I haven't been able to figure out why.
>
> I sometimes find that my Linux Mandrake box has stopped reacting to the keyboard
> and to the mouse. I don't think it's a hardware problem since after re-booting,
> everything works. The machine is not dead since I can PING it from my kids
> Win98 machine. But since the machine has gone to sleep (APM), I have no screen
> and no way to interact with the machine, so I don't know what's causing this. I
> can't TELNET to the machine for the simple reason that my IPTABLES rules won't
> allow it.
>
> I thought of two possible ways to debug this, but I don't like either of them.
> One is to allow TELNET through the Firewall and maybe be able to log on remot
> ly to look for the problem. The other is to not use APM and then **maybe** I'll
> see some output on the screen. However I doubt this will help since I have no
> way of guessing on which virtual screen or bash session I can expect to see
> output.
>
> Does anyone have a better idea, or should I go with one of these? Also, has
> anyone ever experienced a similar problem?

I have a very similar problem. Nothing happens on the screen and the mouse
and the keyboard does not seem to do anything. However, I remember that
one an mp3 that was playing in the background continued playing.

I have a Mandrake 8.1 with all the updates (minus the kernel). It happened
with KDE 2.2.2, and once since I switched to GNOME.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> TIA

> Shlomo Solomon
> E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://come.to/shlomo.solomon
> Date: 31-Dec-2001   Time: 18:10:18
>
> Message sent by XFMail on a LINUX Mandrake 8.1 machine

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home E-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]