> [ ... Really Long Letter Snipped ... ]

Please refer to the following lecture, which talks about the engineering
of Win2K:

http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix-win2000/invitedtalks/lucovsky_html/

I spotted the link thru a post Chen made to Hackers-IL, and it also
appeared on the Joel-on-software site somewhat later.

The Win2K codebase is even larger than Linux is (due to the fact that
Win2K is something like the Linux kernel, glibc, X-Windows, Gtk+, and some
other stuff all combined in a big mish-mash). Nonetheless, it does show
how a team of programmers was able to grok a very large codebase.

I believe that the way things are done in the kernel development have to
change in many ways to make its maintainance more scalable and
straightforward. There should be:

1. CVS.

2. Roadmaps for the next stable release - what goes in, what stays out,
etc.

3. A general, short, manifesto that explains what Linus thinks the kernel
should have and what not. (I.e: should it have a sound subsystem? Should
it have GGI? Should it have an in-kernel GUI?). Just kidding about the GUI
part.

4. Maintainers of different subsystems who may delegate authority to other
people.

5. Making sure Linus need not be bothered with any little patch. Linus can
read the CVS diffs if he'd like, but people can commit changes without
asking him.

6. Defining well-defined interfaces for the subsystems to interact with
each other, and explaining what should or should not be done.

Did I miss anything? I believe what I proposed is better than the ways
things are done now.

Of course I recall the first rule of open-source programming: "Don't whine
unless you are going to contribute". Which means that unless I'm going to
act as a new and better Linus myself (at least until Linus OKs my
suggestions), then I can't complain much. Maybe I'll join the lkml and try
to change the system from within. (of course, I think I'll need to ask Orr
Dunkelman for a dedicated account for that on vipe, because lkml happens
to be quite high volume).

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]