here comes the enlightenment . . .

-=O0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O0=-
   "He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought -
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree.
    And stood awhile in thought."

                  [L.Carrol "Jabberwacky"]

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> PCMCIA? the man is talking about XFree86 (which just released 4.2.0)
>
> Whats that got to do with PCMCIA? please englighten me ;)
>
> Hetz
>
> On Sunday 20 January 2002 14:42, you wrote:
> > i hope you did not to forget to support PCMCIA or something like that ...
> >
> > On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have to install X on a modern Laptop (Compaq 1700) with an ATI Radeon
> > > Mobility.
 X 4.1.0 didn't recognize the card so I followed some newsgroup
> > > advice to compile X from CVS.
i came out with 2 assumptions:
1. there exist pcmcia graphic adaptors
2. there exists generic pcmcia support that works in _most_ cases.
if these are true -
it's possible to be able to have a pcmcia card, to see say in the console,
but when you try to "really" use the card [SVGA mode and up], not to be
able to do so.

> > > Compile went well, XFree86 -configure recognizes the card but fails to
> > > load with lots of unresolved symbol messages.
this can happen when the inner [pcmcia] module doesn't
fully fit your specific hardware [radeon]

e.g. if you use sound.o with OSS incompatible sound card
there can be produced unresolved symbols.
i maybe wrongly see it as inner [to the kernel] module "sound.o" and the
hw specific module e.g. ice<xxx>.o [for envy24 based audio cards]
i always try to debug problems from hardware upwards...
this makes me not exactly "software person"  :)

and yes, i didn't know till now ATI don't produce graphic pcmcia cards.
crusify me now.