>I need to add a second Dual Adapter for the rh62 system - remotely. The
adapter was inserted, machine booted - no telnet >connection to it. From the
explanations
>of the local people, i understood that they can ping the router (default
gateway). But can not ping anything behind that - >>they could before. The
routing table looks
>lik exactly as it was before.

It may be just "wrong order" problem [do you know where is eth0, eth1, ...
?].  New adapter may change # for  olds adapters.
mii-diag from http://www.scyld.com/diag/ [RH 7.2 has it]  is your friend -
just connect one adapter to the hub and check with mii-diag which adapter
has link.

Vitaly