> > Is there a utility to measure memory usage of a process,
> preferably proken into
> > static/stack/heap? The man page of GNU `time' suggests that it
> should do the
> > trick, but running
> >     /usr/bin/time myprog
> > always reports 0 memory usage.
>
> In addition to Nadav's reply, and not a direct answer to yours:
> In VMS, and some BSDs, you can press <Ctrl><T> and get a status line
> about the current process. I started implementing this for Linux,
> but didn't continue very much due to lack of interest (only 2-3
> people replied to mails to lkml, linux-serial, linuxconsole-dev).
> 'started' means it works, and caused no problems to me (yet?),
> but you can't e.g. control it with stty. If interested, look at
> <http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/ctrl-t>. It does work with 2.4.7,
> but I didn't check newer kernels.
> If I see interest in this forum, maybe I'll invest more time in this.

A variant already exists in the Linux kernel. If you compile your kernel with magic
sysrq key and didn't disable it via the proc interface (like some versions of Redhat
do) you can press Alt+Shit+SysRq plus a key to get a lot of functions. if the key is
"x" you'll get a menu of all possible keys. One of them gives out memory status of all
proccess.

Gilad.

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tel: +972(9)9717330 | Fax: +972(9)9717334   | Cel: +972(54)756701