I know them tricks, except the Boost thing which looks interesting. But now I've
got "gaguim" for the old old IBM Open Class Libraries which had things like

int number  = 5;
IString stuff = IString(number); // The STL string(number) quite is different

stuff contains "5".
..

Going the other way was equally trivial:

IString stuff = "25";
int number = stuff.asInt();

number of course is 25.

Meanwhile, I've written my own grotty string2int and int2string routines using
snprintf ...

Sigh.

DAF