> hi
>
> i have a problem with device names
>
> i have ppp0 which is not secured ( i.e. internet )
> and ppp1 which is secured (local net)
>
> both interfaces are set automatically.
>

> i set my firewall to alllow all on ppp1 and deny most on ppp0
>
> some times when i run pppd, it takes ppp1 instead of ppp0, making my
> firewall usless.

Could that be due to the fact that you have a stale ppp0 interface?
That
is, a non active interface because a ppp process was not terminated in
a clean enough manner? You might be able to check if this is the case
by ifconfig ppp0 or with ps and looking for a relevant process or maybe
by examining /var/run or /var/lock? Not sure about either of these
possibilities.
Perhaps you are starting the processes which use ppp[01] at the same
time and thus you have some race conditions?
Actually, can you characterize the situations when you got the ppp
interfaces the way you like it to be and the situations when they are
not?

> i do not want to block the firewall by ip, because it can be spoofed

Aren't kernels these days have good spoof protection?

> i do not want to rerun the firewall everytime i enable the internet
> interface
>
> cat i make pppd use a specific interface ( i.e. take ppp3 even if ppp0
> is not taken ? )
> or can i rename the interface name ( i.e. internet0 )

For some reason I believe you can force a ppp process to use a pre
determined interface. Does man ppp have any hints? What about google?

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(replace with the at - @ - character)bezeqint.net