On Sun, May 12, 2002, Matitiahu Allouche wrote about "Bidi updates for OpenOffice word
processor Rel 641D":
> I am glad to announce that IBM Israel is ready to distribute updates to
> the source for OpenOffice word processor (swriter), aimed at providing
> Bidi (Hebrew and Arabic) support.

That's good news :)
Kudos to IBM and everyone who was involved in this project!

> According to the guidelines set by our legal department, we cannot release
> the full product, so we have built a set of diff source files and
> associated documentation.  Whoever wants to create a Bidi-enabled version
> of swriter should do the following:

Is there a special reason why the binary version distributed by openoffice.org
cannot contain your patch, or even why the patch isn't integrated with the
official source (like was done in Mozilla)? Does your patch have the same
license as the regular openoffice.org code? Does it add much overhead to
the handling of non-Hebrew text?

> d) Download the full sources of OpenOffice
> e) Apply the diff files to the OpenOffice source files as described in the
> doc (CompilOO641d.html)
> f) Build the OpenOffice executables (also described in the doc)

The person who does this should have a large disk and be prepared for a long
wait. From the openoffice FAQ:
(I already posted this to hackers-il a week ago - sorry for the duplication)

Q: How much hard drive space needed for a full build of OpenOffice.org
   including source?
A: The current recommendation is 3GB.
   The source code is ~328MB
   The build requires 2GB
   The creation of an installation set requires ~300MB.

Q: How long does an OpenOffice.org build take?