On Sun, 19 May 2002, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
> > Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> >
> > > * There is a small (but larger) group of people who promote Hebrew on
> > > linux-il on the patriotic grounds that "Swedes do it, Finns do it".
> >
> > No they don't. They have No, ZERO, NADA, ZIP, efes, Hebrew on their lists.
> > And have you ever looked at their lists? How much Swedish, Finnish, etc
> > do the have on them? I'll bet all the really juicy questions are in English
> > or if not, could be understood by an English speaker.
>
> You are 100% wrong here, as a simple check would have shown you.

How many linux mailing lists conduct tech discsussions in languages that
do not a mostly Latin alphabet.

> And since my support for hebrew on this mailing list might be considered
> to have patriotic grounds, I feel compelled to say that your
> interpretation are wrong. This has nothing to do with patriotism (to
> which I strongly object), but is only a matter of using my
> mother tongue, which is the language in which I am most fluent (or at
> least, least influent. I have been to one Linux-il dinner (a few
> years) ago, and I remember that the discussions were done in hebrew, so
> I assume the same argument is true for most subscribers of this list.

And on that dinner, did you use the Hebrew equivalents of jargon, which
would be simple to write in Hebrew, or did you use the English tech
jargon, which looks really bad in Hebrew.

I'm not against using Hebrew in email, or on this mailing list. I'm
concerned that if the tech discussion are written the way I usually hear
people discuss them, then the postings might be less readable than the
."conversational" English usualy seen here.
I'm on several translation mailing lists. An international one where most
discussion in English, but some other languages are used as well. As long
as the query in either the target or source language relevant for that
query, then the right target audience can understand it. English is
considered the common language. On on of the Israeli translation lists
there was recently a discussionw whether list language should be moderated
after someone posted in French (it was a French<>Hebrew term question).
The general sentiment was that if someone wants to post in French it's
fine, but fewer people would be able to assist the poster.

Thanks,
Uri
http://translation.israel.net