Hi,

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 08:30:53AM +0300, Malcolm Kavalsky wrote:
> Boris Gorelik (by way of b g ) wrote:
>
> >[second attempt. it seems that the first one failed. in case I'm wrong,
> >please forgive me]
> >hi,
> >this is a strange problem: we have dual PIII with RH7.2 on it (as only OS).
> >Today, while X was logging out from KDE session, I tried to swich to text
> >console (by Ctr-Alt-F1), and X just hanged. The rest of the system worked
> >fine. This problem has occured several times in the past, and the solution
> >was to restart the X by killing it. So I looked for X (top -bn1 | less) and
> >found 2 processes. One process was pretty regular, and the other was:
> > 9351 root       9   0     0    0     0 Z     0.0  0.0   0:00 X <defunct>
> >(I've never seen <defunct> note.
> >I killed the "usual" X - didn't help, tried to kill 9351 by
> >kill -s 9 9351
> > - no reaction. It's like 9351 has choosen to ignore the superuser !!!(  ;-)
> > )
> >
> >google search for X<defunct> did not gave something usefull (I just know that
> >some guy had such a problem. Tried to mail him - apparently there is no such
> >address).
> >My questions are: how is it possible that a process doues not respond to kill
> >-s 9, is it possible to kill such a process anyway, what should I do in the
> >future when this problem comes back, what will be the numbers in lotto in the
> >next week and when will we sign pease with Syria
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >     Boris

>  From the man page of PS:
>

>        Processes  marked  <defunct> are dead processes (so-called
>        "zombies")  that  remain  because  their  parent  has  not
>        destroyed them properly. These processes will be destroyed
>        by init(8) if the parent process exits.
>

> So, you will only get rid of this process by rebooting. On the other hand,
> these process get no CPU usage, so unless you really have a lot, you can
> simply ignore them.

That is not accurate; you should find the father of the process
(with ps -alx, or better, with pstree -pul), and make it wait(2) to
its son. This is probably *dm (kdm?), and you will have to kill it
too, then its sons (including X) will be adopted by init, which will
wait on them and they will die. If some other X session is managed by
*dm, you will probably rather not kill it, but let the X wait until
reboot (and report a bug to *dm authors).

        Didi