I don't know whether the following is related but it might be:

  There's a discussion about some glibc changes on a postgresql mailing
  list where Ulrich Drepper, glibc developer working for redhat, tries
  explain why his 2.2.5 release is a completely different version than
the
  Debian 2.2.5. Of course the reason is "that the glibc in RHL7.3
contains
  a lot of the code from the glibc 2.3 branch". But they still call it
  2.2.5.

    Shaul Karl, [EMAIL PROTECTED] e t