I.
  I never did report back about all of my problems, so I will now.
The big problem was disconnections, and often not able to reconnect.
I've spent many calls to bezeq trying to fix either problems on
their end, or with the modem (meanwhile they tell me Linux is not
supported, surprise, surprise).  Eventually I figured out that the
problem was the Orkit modems.  After about 20-30 days of modem
uptime (I don't think number of connections mattered), the modem
would not be able to connect.  I have error logs from telneting to
the modem for those interested.  After a few months of this we
demanded bezeq do something, so they switched us to an Alcatel
modem.  We still have a disconnection now and then, but nothing a
little script can't fix.  Last connect time was 16822.6 minutes,
1,067,347,898 bytes sent, 1,344,943,626 bytes received.

II.
  So, now with the Alcatel modems we are mostly happy.  This week
was a problem though.  Our connection was dropped at 08:02 on June 2
and we were not able to reconnect.  I spent 1.5 hours on the phone
with bezeq that evening.  First I tried to explain the
idiot^H^H^H^H^Hguy on the phone about the modem's status lights.
The sync/link light was on.  When we tried to connect Tx would
blink, but not Rx (guess where the problem is?).  He insisted that
only the sync light mattered, the line is fine, the problem must be
with our equipment.  Maybe the network went faulty (but still works
with ping/telnet/http to the modem??).  Then we argued about Linux
and firewalls, one hour passed.  Then I hooked up a win98 machine to
demonstrate the same problem.  30 minutes later they admit it's
their problem.  Next day passes, no action.  That evening by boss is
talking to bezeq and they're having us reconfigure a (masqueraded)
workstation when I walked in.  Next, someone from bezeq was supposed
to come out with a laptop to check it out.  The next morning, while
expecting that someone, I get a call asking if our connection is
working.  To my surprise, yes.

(Ok, I'm done now.  The point: get rid of the Orkit modem. and It's
probably not the ISPs fault.)

-Cedar

Slightly OT:  What does this look like?  "Bug" in pppd?

May 20 09:10:37 nanu pppd[7304]: Connect time 11389.5 minutes.
May 20 09:10:37 nanu pppd[7304]: Sent 773536385 bytes, received
-1813255584 bytes.