Nathan Fain wrote:

> How can i test and verify that the lock manager is working and doing
> it's job over NFS?

You can't. There is no NFS locking in kernels > 2.4.0 (and maybe
earlier).

NFS locking used to work, but it never worked well, and the designers of it
could never come up with an ALL-INCLUSIVE locking system for NFS locks, so
they gave up.

BSDI (and I assume the other "free" BSD systems) also do not support it.

The only system I know of that has NFS file locking that works is Solaris,
and I may be wrong about that. And to be quite blunt the problems that caused
the Linux developers to give up would still exist in the Solaris version. :-(

For example, there is no way to determine if a remote task has died and
it's time to remove a stale lock. Timneouts won't work without
disturbing tasks that access files once an hour.

If you can, configure the program to run without flock and to use an alternate
locking scheme.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.