On 13 Jul 2002, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 03:57, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I installed KDE 3.0.2 on a mandrake 8.2 system. When I set the language
> > > to hebrew, all I see is small boxes instead of text. I suspect the
> > > reason is some general problem with utf-8 on the installation, since I
> > > also have problems in with other programs using utf-8 for hebrew (for
> > > instance, vim, where I get boxes as well). I thought it's a font
> > > problem, so I installed all the fonts from a windows distribution (where
> > > I have support for hebrew utf-8), and also some other fonts I found on
> > > the internet, but this didn't.
> >
> > You need to use fonts with the encoding 'iso10646-1' (unicode) , rather
> > than theencoding 'iso8859-8' (8-bit hebrew). Your linux distro is shipped
> > with a number of such fonts, for instance misc-fixed. They don't look very
> > pretty, but (espcially if not resized) you'll be able to read Hebrew texts
> > with them. Quite important ifthe user interface is in Hebrew.
>
> Starting from Qt 3.0 (and KDE 3.0), font encodings are no more.
>
> As you'd notice in qtconfig and the Qt / KDE font picker, you're offered
> to select the font by name, and Qt will automatically use the font
> encodingsavailable in the best manner to display as much of the
> characters as it can. If all the font has is ISO-8859-8, then of all the
> Unicode characters, you'd only see English and Hebrew ones.
>
> (Technically speaking, it behaves the same as loading an X fontset with
> all the encoding variants of a given font.)

So it would be nice to alias helvetica to arial etc. and save this
needless visit to the kde fonts configuration dialog (which is painful,
and takes long time, and is also only per-user).

I know how to do that without Xft, but I never tried it with Xft. Can
anybody suggest a config?

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]