> Everybody on the Net keeps telling me that they are nessessary. I have a
> client/server utility, both sides are at my control. It works for some
> two-three weeks and then computer flooded with CLOSE_WAITS, I can not open
> more sockets and have to restart application (or reboot computer). I'm using
> every recommended techniques from Stevens book - shutdown, linger, SO_REUSEADDR
> etc... without any success. Can it be some kernel bug ? I can never reproduce
> this situation manually but it happens quite frequently. And it is very
> frustrating. There are plenty Linux Internet applications (Apache for example)
> that supposed to work 24/7/365. How do they handle this problem ?

I saw this once and it turned out to be a faulty web load balancer.
Could it be that you have some firewall or similar in the way? COuld it
be that someone is either attacking your server, or using your IP in a
spoof/blind attack and you get the fault outs?

Can you provide a network sniff of traffic when this happens?

Gilad.

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://benyossef.com

"Money talks, bullshit walks and GNU awks."
  -- Shachar "Sun" Shemesh, debt collector for the GNU/Yakuza