>gcc has its own built-in include and libs parameters (set at compile
>time), right?

I don't know about that. When you configure gcc before compilation
you usually set the installation location, library dirs if you want'em changed,
other compile options etc..
I don't know enough because I've only built gcc recently and I wasn't sure
how to do it, it was my first time :)
Another reason was that I didn't want the new gcc to break my system. Who
knows what changes it can do. That's why I'm interested in finding out how
exactly one should go about to replace gcc altogether, and how to keep two
seperate versions..

Eli

"There's so many different worlds
 So many different suns